Maca is a plant native to Peru that is used for its medicinal properties. Also known as «Peruvian ginseng», maca belongs to the adaptogen family as well as to the «superfoods». Its culture is very old, dating back at least to 1600 BC. back. It is of great help for the nervous system and allows to relieve stress, restore vitality and energy and is used by athletes to improve their performance. Maca is a root vegetable that has a strong, bitter, and pungent flavor. Once dried in the sun, it turns into a and its flavor changes to a caramelized flavor reminiscent of hazelnut. But what are its advantages?
What is Maca made of?
- Maca is a very rich plant and a natural and effective dietary supplement. It consists of 65% carbohydrates, 10 to 15% protein, 2% lipids (palmitic acid, oleic acid, alpha-linolenic acid), 8% fiber, antioxidants (flavonoids, tannins, saponins) and contains 16 different minerals (potassium, calcium, iron, manganese, copper, magnesium, zinc etc.) as well as 7 vitamins (B12, C etc.) and 19 amino acids.
- Rich in carboxylic acid but also in sulfocyanate, making it an excellent aphrodisiac.
What Are the Benefits of Maca?
- Maca from Peru contains more than fifteen essential minerals for recovery and immune stimulation. It strengthens the immune system.
- It is effective in anemia.
- Maca has positive effects on sexual desire and libido.
- It promotes better physical and mental abilities and optimizes endurance.
- It has anti-tumor properties, thanks in particular to its antioxidant content.
- Maca extracts are not considered doping agents.
When to cure?
As a dietary supplement, Maca is used as a remedy, for example in the event of severe physical exhaustion or, for example, to alleviate premenstrual or menopausal symptoms in women or even libido problems. Due to these many trace elements, it can also be a good support during temporary stress.
For how long ?
In Peru, the cures are carried out for 3 months. The effect begins to be felt after 4 weeks of use. Know that you can renew this cure twice a year. Fall and spring are good times to start.
- Young children and pregnant or breastfeeding women should seek advice before consumption.
In what form can it be found?
- Powder (for fruit juice, dairy product, water, soup, pancake batter, etc.)
- In capsule
You can find it online, at herbalists, health food stores, or on the Bulk Powders website. However, make sure to keep it in a dry, cool place away from light.
What is the dosage?
- 2 capsules of 500 mg to 1 g to be taken two to three times a day, ie between 1 g and 1.5 g.
- While there are no drinking restrictions or known side effects, it’s best to avoid overuse due to the amount of minerals it contains.
What should one associate it with?
- Guarana: to tone the body in case of temporary fatigue
- Spirulina: for athletes who want to optimize their regeneration
- Ginseng: to increase libido
What are the benefits for bodybuilding?
Athletes who take Maca are more resilient, have more strength and are less exposed to stress. It is the anti-asthenic and anabolic properties that lead practitioners to use it as a natural alternative to anabolic steroids and other hormones.
In summary, Maca is a very powerful adaptogen that helps the body defend itself against physical and mental impairments. It has a very good nutritional profile and is extremely complete.
We let you find all of our other items on The fitnesstogether!
Article written by Fitness Together
Did you like this article?
Thanks for your review