The baobab tree is a sacred tree in many African countries. Its pulp has been consumed by certain ethnic groups for years. The has 6 times more vitamin C than an orange and 3 times more calcium than a glass of milk. In addition, it contains 6 times more potassium than a banana and its antioxidant properties are undeniable.
But what are its advantages?
What is baobab ?
The baobab is a tree whose all parts are used for its therapeutic and nutritional properties: the trunk, the leaves, the pulp, the seeds, the bark.
It contains an impressive source of vitamin C, calcium and fiber. It is the pulp of the baobab fruit, also known as monkey bread, Adansonia digitata, which is naturally dried and ground into .
It appeals to both humans and monkeys, hence the name «monkey bread».
This is mixed with water to make baak (in Senegal), a delicious, refreshing and healthy drink.
Baobab has become a dietary supplement with an incredible source of nutrients. The baobab is a natural product because it grows under natural conditions, away from pollution.
What is the composition of baobab ?
Nutritional composition for 100 g of
energetic value : 222 calories; 915kj
proteins : 2.0g
lipids : 0.2g (of which 0.1 g saturated fatty acids)
carbohydrates : 26.0g (of which 17.0 g sugar)
fibers : 54.0 g
Salt : 0.01g
vitamin C : 104mg
potassium : 2270mg
calcium : 339mg
magnesium : 148mg
How do I use baobab ?
The has a spicy, slightly sweet taste. It can be used to flavor and sweeten beverages (fruit juices, teas, cocktails, etc.).
You can also use it for baking or to prepare ice cream or sorbet.
You can use it externally to make hair oils, masks, etc.
What Are the Benefits of Baobab Powder?
It is rich in minerals, iron, potassium, magnesium, zinc, phosphorus and contains 11 amino acids. It also contains vitamins A, C, B1, B6, PP.
- antioxidant : can prevent oxidative stress caused by free radicals.
- fibers: The baobab is rich in fiber and its pulp contains 40%. The baobab has an important prebiotic activity and contributes to good health and the regeneration of the intestinal flora. The fruit is effective for transit problems.
- antiphlogistic: the relieves pain, inflammation.
- virtues: purifying, regenerating, soothing, regenerating.
- Benefits for teeth, bones: Baobab is rich in calcium and iron. It allows for strength and rigidity of the bones.
- cure: The is excellent for the skin. Thanks to vitamin B2, it has healing properties. It also aids in the absorption of iron.
What are the contraindications for using baobab ?
- There is none. There are rare allergies to baobab pulp. This product is gluten free, lactose free.
- On the other hand, too much fiber intake can cause some stomach problems. For 100g of baobab pulp there is 54g of fiber (9 times more than plums).
- People with heart or kidney problems should be careful about consuming fruit pulp due to potassium.
- For pregnant women, breastfeeding women and children, consult your doctor.
When to use?
After an illness, an infection, the flu or if you are tired, weak or out of shape. It is also perfect in everyday life to provide yourself with important nutrients regularly and naturally.
What are the dosages?
It is advisable to take 1 to 2 teaspoons of baobab daily to enjoy its benefits. For a 3 week regimen, the dosage can be increased by 1 or 2 tablespoons.
Where can you buy it?
In health food stores, specialty shops and also on the Internet. Check the origin, the composition.
Baobab has many benefits from both a therapeutic and nutritional point of view.
We let you find all of our other items on The fitnesstogether!
Article written by Fitness Together
Did you like this article?
Thanks for your review